Wednesday, November 30, 2011

5 Questions for Pei-Yee, Baker




1. How long have you been working in pastry and what is your level of experience?


I have been baking since I was a little girl, with my first sweets probably being the chocolate chip cookies you find on the back of a Toll House bag of chocolate chips! I'd always enjoyed spending time in the kitchen whipping up sweet things to share with friends and family, and loved trying out new desserts and sweets, but never considered this as more than just a hobby until several years ago. I received my formal training at Tante Marie's Cooking School, which has a fantastic professional pastry program, and at Patisserie Philippe. Soon after, I started Dulcinea Bakeshop as a way to keep challenging and developing my pastry skills. In addition to my formal and informal training which enable me to make delicious tasting treats, I rely on my background in visual arts to help make them beautiful to the eye as well! 


2. What do you love most about your work?


I love the challenge of taking simple ingredients - butter, flour, sugar, fruits, chocolates, spices and nuts - and transforming them into edible works of art. It's also wonderful to be in a line of work where people are always happy with what you are providing. After all, who doesn't love a little bit of sweetness in their day? 



3. Why green?

As a baker, it's about working with the best possible ingredients, as that makes the finished product that much better. For me, that means sourcing local and sustainably raised eggs, dairy, and produce wherever I can. I also enjoy getting to know the farmers and purveyors who are putting all the hard work into producing these wonderful ingredients. It's great to be able to share with my clients stories of the farmers who have produced elements of what they are enjoying. 

As an individual, it is important to me that the way I live my life helps build a healthy community, where the people, plants and animals, and environment are moving in balance together. And as a new mama, it's even more critical that my actions and lifestyle help support and nurture my little girl and the world she will be growing up in in a positive way.




4. Do you only do weddings?


No, I love to make desserts and cakes for all kinds of events. I enjoy getting to know each of my clients and finding out their ideas for their special day. Whether it's a three-year old's birthday party, a 50th wedding anniversary celebration, or a fundraiser for a local nonprofit, I enjoy the challenge of creating the perfect sweets that will put a smile on everyone's faces.



5. What are you most looking forward to baking these days?


With the holidays upon us, I am looking forward to baking lots of little sweets that can be gifted to friends and family, which also serves as my test kitchen for desserts I'll share with my clients. My friends and family give me great feedback on what's great and what's not. From delicate tea cakes to macarons, to snappy nut brittles and gooey caramels, or just the perfect chocolate chip cookie, the joy is in baking delicious treats that can be shared.



Locally Grown Weddings Featured Members:
Pei-Yee Woo, Wedding Desserts
Aurora Meneghello, Photographer


No comments:

Post a Comment